Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Canon PowerShot SD980 IS Digital ELPH 12.1 Megapixel

I really want to like this camera but I think this may have to go back. Indoor pictures are relatively grainy (ISO is 500 on most even with the flash) and outdoor pictures look washed out. I compared the pictures to a 870 IS and the 870 came out ahead 5 out of 6 times (Not a scientific test, but both were with similar setings and mounted on a tripod and shot with a 2 second time delay to eliminate hand shake, ISO 200 on both cameras).

Granted, as I've only used a Canon 30D DSLR with pretty decent lenses for the last few years, but I didn't think that the pictures from my 7-year old 4MP Konica KD400Z were awful. (A lot of the ones from this camera are just awful)

The HD video is pretty good and even the 640x480 movies look decent on a 47 inch tv - so high marks for that.

The touchscreen is pretty useful but it would have been nice to be able to assign any camera function to the 4 allowed 'gestures'. It is great for touch-focussing on 'this-one' and it holds the focus point pretty well as you pan the camera. All in all, I like the touchscreen.

The 'click wheel' is very well implemented (much better than my Canon HG10 HD vid cam) and is nice and responsive. I have a gripe about the tiny triangular on/off button as it is not responsive on the narrow side, but that is a minor inconvenience.

I'll play with this a bit more (Reset to factory settings; turn off some of the 'Smart' functions etc) and see if I can get the picture quality to improve. Othewise I'll be looking closely at the S90 - even though that doesn't have HD video capture (whose bright idea was that? The S90 product manager should be taken out and flogged for descoping HD video).

Orignal From: Canon PowerShot SD980 IS Digital ELPH 12.1 Megapixel

No comments:

Post a Comment